Friday, January 21, 2005

 

Friday update

I am still reading The Golem's Eye, and enjoying it, although it doesn't grab me as hard as The Amulet of Samarkand (first book of the Bartimaeus trilogy) did. I've been dabbling in a bunch of other stuff.

Of the fiction I've read online recently, I've enjoyed Elizabeth Bear's "Follow Me Light" the most. In this short story, Bear shows tremendous judgment in choosing what to tell the reader and when, what to hint at, and what to leave unsaid. I started a couple of times trying to work out how to write about it in more detail, but couldn't find a way to do it justice. I've given you this enthusiastic recommendation, and the link; I hope that you'll follow them.

Another (meta)link: my delicious sf links. (del.icio.us is a social bookmarks manager. It tells you what that means here.)

In "real life," I am an academic. The paper submission deadline for one of the biggest conferences in my field recently came and went. I volunteered to review a few papers. A few somehow seems to have turned into eight. So I was not in a good mood when I started looking at the papers. I was in a worse mood when I saw that several of them depart from the conference's submission guidelines. One of them exceeds the page limit, another does not reveal its title, and so on.

This strengthens my resolution that, when I finally get round to sending sf stories to magazines and other outlets, I will be a scrupulous observer of the submission guidelines. Why have the first impression one makes on the a gatekeeper be a bad one?

It's been over a week since my last post to this blog. That's longer than I meant to leave it. But then, if people read blogs via feeds, maybe fresh content is less important for (some) blogs than for (most) other types of web site.

|

<< Home